Some people I know think that you need a bunch of money to buy fancy steampunk clothes and fancy steampunk stores.
I have a ton of normal clothes that, when paired together, create amazing steampunk things. A bunch of stuff I have listed below are things that can be steampunk.
- Plain colored shirts can go with anything. Neutral colors work best
- Something frilly paired with a leather or military jacket
- An oversized t-shirt layered with a corset (I know corsets aren’t considered normal, but they’re still really cool)
- Military, leather, biker, trench coats
- Olive green pants or cargo pants
- A plain pair of jeans with Sharpie to create a steampunk pattern
- A plain black or neutral colored shirt
- Lacy or frilly skirts
- Most skirts from Hot Topic (if paired with the right shirt)
- Skirts with studs, zippers, buttons, or lace-up ribbon
- Key necklaces
- Leather chokers
- Gold/brass watches (with hands)
- Necklaces with mini clock charms
- Certain jewelry from Claire’s
- Black or brown flats
- Leather boots
- Combat boots
- Certain pairs of Converse
- Leather sandals
These are just a few of the things that are wearable. Keep in mind that you can always Sharpie a shirt to give it a pattern you like. You can also burn and rip the edges of things, and sew on your own decals.